Gemstone Haul

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Gemstone Haul

So last weekend I went on a buying excursion in the City to seek some new delightful treasures for my customers.  I was really looking to incorporate some more precious stones, rose cuts, and new shapes.  As a rock hunter, collector, and metalsmith it is very easy to buy stones without thinking twice of what will I use them for? Will my customers like them? Am I just hoarding?  Usually I go into buying trips with an itinerary and walk out with a plethora of items that I didn't need but had to have :) 

I am proud to report I think I managed my time, and resources well.  Keeping in mind what my customers want, while bringing them new fresh selection of quality materials. Here we go!



This is a picture of just a small fraction of what was displayed at one of my suppliers booths.




I choose these pink cushion cut opals.  I thought the powdery pink puffed cabochons were brilliant.  Such a beautiful muted color, fun new shape to play with.  I love ovals and rounds but these are stunning and classic.



 Man in the moonstones! I restocked on these, I offer these stones in quite a few colors and sizes.  I needed to re-up on more rainbow moonstone. Hand carved in India, these are beautiful celestial stones.  These just make you happy when you see the man on the moon smiling.


 I just died when I saw these beauties, such a pungent orange color full of life and screams spring and summer.  I really wanted light airy stones that were beautifully polished and these fit the bill. Such a beautiful high dome.  I bought the larger size for rings or pendants, and the smaller for a nice accent stone or post earrings.


 These were an unexpected find, multi color sapphire in green.  The color is so unique in that it is not quite a mirky olive green it has a luminous sheen with beautiful inclusions running through. I love unusual shades of well known stones.



Druzy speaks for itself. Sparkle, sparkle and more sparkle.  Love the green color, I am always buying blues and I found so many beautiful greens this buying trip. These are nice and petite would look stunning in oxidized sterling.




Peach tourmaline, this calls for some gold.  I want to take a bite out of this stone, so juicy and refreshing.  Reminds me of a favorite childhood book James and the Giant Peach. Perfection.








Ethopian Opal, again I love opals no secret any kind, boulder, koroit, black, fire, love them all. This has its own world living in this stone so much radiance and life in any light. Another stone that will look fabulous with a gold bezel :)



 This aquamarine has unbelievable quality and clarity for the size. Slightly included, beautiful pale blue green color. These stones look like candy, they are like arctic ice. Clear with a hint of blue green reminds me a warm tropical waters. 



Peruvian Amazonite, most of us are use to the green and white ammonite which is lovely too.  But I love this bright pop of blue that Peruvian Amazonite has. I offer this stone in 14mm round already, thought this shape and size would be a nice addition for the coming summer months.






I love trillion shapes, especially in labradorite, especially rose cut.  Enough said, well not quite...Some have more blue flash others more green, some are more muted but all are just beautiful!
 Bullets are hard to find in this size, so when I saw them I knew I had to have them. Lapis is such a staple stone, you can never have enough lapis in any size or shape. I also choose the green onyx for a jewel tone pop, which is always very regal.
The final few bits. Precious, Rose Cut, and Stunning. Emerald, Tanzanite, and Sapphire.  These are beautiful and taking the traditional cabochons to the next level.  I really love working with Cabohons stones, but these are a treat the flat back of the cabochon with the faceted top like a traditional faceted stone. Yummy.  
 All of these pieces will be available shortly on my vintage store. Tibetan horns and shells!







I also have a video available for these stones, the lighting came out a bit darker than intended but non the less a great video to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3adHEx87K2w
If you have any questions or want a custom please don't hesitate to email me meshedesigns@yahoo.com :)  See you guys soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment